An investigation by the village of Port Chester city manager found that the contractor in charge of a demolition project on South Main Street had violated a stop-work order before falling debris closed the roadway, city officials said.
According to City Manager Christopher D. Steers, the incident took place Tuesday, Aug. 21, at about 3:15 p.m. when debris from a building undergoing demolition located at 18 South Main Street fell onto the adjacent street and sidewalk.
The Police Department closed the sidewalk and a portion of South Main Street and all department heads responded to the scene, he said.
An investigation indicates that although a demolition permit had been issued, there was a stop work order in place pertaining to inadequate pedestrian and vehicular protection. The contractor continued with demolition and disregarded the stop work order, Steers said.
“Fortunately, this incident did not result in any loss of life," Steers said. "No one was injured as a result of falling materials; however the contractor was injured as he was surveying the scene. Nevertheless, I must treat the matter very seriously. The Village is taking all steps to address the immediate concerns of the public safety."
Since the incident, the village staff has been in contact with the owner, Majic Development Group, reinforced the stop work order and directed that a remedial plan is developed and provided within 24 hours.
Meanwhile, the sidewalk and curb adjacent to the property will be closed. In addition to barricades, security will be provided by the Police Department at the contractor’s expense until the village determines that there is no longer a threat to passersby.
"This is a case of a contractor who did work without following plans on file, disregarded the direction of a village official and acted without the benefit of proper legal authority, Steers said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.