NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Four New Rochelle residents remained displaced late on Monday afternoon, after an early morning fire tore through a Bayard Street home, razing half of it.
Shortly after midnight, fire officials responded to the multi-family home, where a fire ripped through the apartment on the right, stemming from a grease fire on a second floor apartment.
According to fire officials, the blaze started on the second floor, after the resident attempted to extinguish a grease fire with water, which is ill-advised. The failed attempt to quell the flames caused the fire to rapidly spread through the domicile.
One nearby neighbor, who was at the scene while the fire raged, stopped by the residence to observe the damage later in the day. He noted that while firefighters fought the fire from inside and outside the home, flames and smoke could be seen emanating through the windows.
Reports have claimed that once the fire got out of control, the man had to leap from the second floor to escape.
“It was bad, there was a lot of smoke and the flames were visible from where we were standing,” Chuck Wilson, 48, said. “I happened to be awake, and we saw all the commotion and went to see what had happened.”
On Monday, extensive damage could be seen throughout the inside and outside of the apartment. Scorch marks were visible on the siding of the home, while cleanup crews were busy assessing the damage. One noted that while the apartment would “need to be gutted, but the entire property could be salvaged.”