WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- U.S. Rep. Nita M. Lowey, D-Westchester/Rockland, the senior Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee, recently called for greater safety measures to be implemented at the Indian Point nuclear facility in Buchanan.
Lowey's statement came on the heels of a recent Nuclear Regulatory Commission report that detailed potential risk to the two nuclear plants in the event of an earthquake.
"This report from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission confirms once again my long-held belief that Indian Point is in need of major improvements and, in general, nuclear power facilities need tough, thorough oversight," Lowey said in a statement. "I urge Entergy to thoroughly complete the analysis and evaluations included in the NRC’s findings as quickly as possible.
- 1 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 Port Chester Turns Out For Vigil To Honor Those Killed in Charleston
- 4 Blind Brook Grad Recounts Confusion Of Living In Rye Brook, Near Rye Neck
- 5 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI