Contact Us
Port Chester Daily Voice serves Port Chester, NY
Return to your home site


Port Chester Daily Voice serves Port Chester, NY

Rye Brook House Catches Fire

RYE BROOK, N.Y. -- No one was injured when a house at 60 Talcott Rd. caught fire Friday morning.

The blaze was put out by the Rye Brook Fire Department around 7:30 a.m.

The owners, Joel and Marlene Klein, were away on vacation in Maine and no one was home at the time of the fire. The fire is believed to have started in the basement, where a dehumidifier was running and material on top of a faulty extension cord lit up.

Firefighters had to break in through the front doors to gain access to the house. Neighbors saw smoke rising from the windows, but there were no visible flames. "The fire department responded very quickly," said Suzanne Zeeve, who was visiting her mother next door to the Kleins. "They did a great job and they took care of it." Do you keep a dehumidifier running in your basement while you're out of the house? What precautions do you take to prevent electrical fires?

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Port Chester Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.