PORT CHESTER, N.Y. -- Chanukah begins Saturday, Dec. 24 and continues through Sunday, Jan. 1, 2017. Make it easy on yourself with a tried and tested potato latke recipe courtesy of Port Chester-based Avril Kay Caterers/Event Planners , which specializes in kosher events.
- 5 medium to large potatoes
- 1 onion
- 3 cups flour
- 3 extra large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- canola oil – for frying
- Peel and shred potatoes (squeeze out all excess water).
- Add lemon juice and mix well (prevents potatoes from turning brown).
- Add finely chopped onion.
- Mix in three beaten eggs.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt.
- Add ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Mix in three cups flour in batches (if batter is a little loose add mor flour slowly until latkes hold their shape).
- Heat canola oil in a large frypan (oil should be at least ½’’ deep at all times).
- Form latkes 2” in diameter and ½” thick
- Fry on each side until golden brown (cooked through).
- Drain well on brown paper.
- Serve with applesauce.